Afraid of....


Hmmm...it was raining so hard the other day as I was browsing the net for some stuffs when it came to my mind about fears. Yep, you heard it right, I was kinda afraid of rains. Ha! Hate to admit but I am. The sound it makes on the roof gives me the creeps, except from the fact that am totally alone in the office. So, to stop my mind from diving into too much fear, I started hitting the Google search engine for Phobias. (out of curiousity really, I was kinda wondering if what term is coined after 'fear of rain' and others - aside from rain, i still got loads of other fears ^.^).


My curiousity did not failed me, I actually found one and to my surprise, there are lots and lots of Phobia Names, from A to Z. I was like, WOW! Never thought there's more than what I expected. But before going further, let me first define briefly what Phobia is and its types.



Phobia, is an obsessive fear or anxiety of something in specific - situations, objects, etc. According to Kendra Van Wagner (Psychology Guide, 2005), it involves sense of endangerment or a fear of harm. Fear alone does not distinguish phobia, avoidance must also be evident.


Three types of Phobia (that could somehow help you distinguish yours, if you have any)
  1. Agoraphobia

- fear of being trapped in space or situation where escape might be difficult.

  1. Social phobia

- fear of certain types of social situations.

  1. Specific phobia

- fear of something specific (objects, environment, animal, medical/situational)

Below are list of my fears and it's phobia name:
[To my friends, don't even think about using it against me ^.^]

  1. Ombrophobia- Fear of rain or of being rained on.
  2. Achluophobia- Fear of darkness.
  3. Aeroacrophobia- Fear of open high places.
  4. Algophobia- Fear of pain.
  5. Arachnephobia or Arachnophobia- Fear of spiders.
  6. Astraphobia or Astrapophobia- Fear of thunder and lightning.(Ceraunophobia, Keraunophobia)
  7. Atychiphobia- Fear of failure.
  8. Batrachophobia- Fear of amphibians, such as frogs, newts, salamanders, etc
  9. Catoptrophobia- Fear of mirrors.
  10. Entomophobia- Fear of insects.
  11. Hemophobia or Hemaphobia or Hematophobia- Fear of blood.
  12. Herpetophobia- Fear of reptiles or creepy, crawly things.
  13. Kenophobia- Fear of voids or empty spaces.
  14. Phasmophobia- Fear of ghosts.
    There goes my list (^.^) Phobias in bold are the ones most likely my super-uber fears. If you want to browse for your own fear list, you can visit this site, The Phobia List by © 1995-2007 Fredd Culbertson.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure but i think most of your so-called phobias are natural and the fear tend to increase only because you think you are afraid of these things, well, as i have observed reading this, those ones you highlighted are fears that are not out of the ordinary, (except your fear of rain)

For example, Agoraphobia...who wouldn't be scared in those kind of situations?

Social Phobia, this is a tendency for most people especially with those who has low self-esteem. You know, fear of making mistakes, grabbing unsolicited attention, things like that. It's also not unusual for gals to be afraid of spiders and crawly creatures, it's almost expected of them, I think the problem is self-confidence or perhaps the audacity to try new things, you know sometimes, it pays to take risks...

About the rain thing, I don't know. I love the sound of the rain. Ansarap magsenti kapag umuulan. lols!

Thanks for the compliment and the comment. Not a problem, we can exchange links!

Cute blogger nagpapacute.

p.s. so you know pam? are you into photography too?

Anonymous said...

Hi Rizzy. I browse for blogs and run through your post. You have made me smile in you fear list. They are ordinary but I guess Mr Marlon did not really get the point of your post. You are sharing your fears in this post by discussing the Definition and Types of Phobia first then your list- not that I don't know any of this but the point is, people have different fears in life. I have my own too. Maybe you need to review the post again (Marlon) so you would not run to details that is of your idea.
Rizzy it is informative. Happy Day.

Marlon Celso said...

Hey, wait. did my comment sounded rude? Sorry, i was trying to write the comment as an advice not to criticize. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Anonymous, I am sorry if you found it offending. I totally agree with you. Hands down the post is informative. I wouldn't say anything further..

Rizzy said...

Hi Marlon...yep,,,we are classmates back in High School..and about Photography, yep yep yep...but the prob is, the camera we ordered from my friend e hanggang ngayon ala pa...mukhang na-offend mo nga c mr/ms anonymous..lolz...thanks for droppin' by...=]

Rizzy said...

Hi Anonymous..thanks for the compliment and for droppin by as well...Marlon acknowledged your comment and thanks again...Keep visiting ^.^

Anonymous said...

hey girl, need everybody's help. i have a new post in blog at wordpress. please help me by voting.

thanks