A Bit Disappointed



The most awaited sequel of Twilight Saga after its first hit last 2008. The one movie that left me hanging-by-a-moment, wanting my own Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson, "Harry Potter") to appear before my very life and hold me as his captive. I know I haven't made a review on the first release of Stephenie Meyer's novel, "Twilight" though the movie gave me an endless nights of 'wishing upon the stars' to turn my partner into a vampire. Like any other ordinary gal, I am one of those whose hearts wilts at the mention of the word vampire and would willingly surrender one's life in cravings for that fatal bite. Odd as it may seem but that's how fanatic I am.


Twilight, the first released series did turned out in blockbuster legions. To be honest, at first I pay less attention to it. IT DID NOT....really draw me some interest NOT UNTIL
I had the DVD copy played on my player. I was like "So, this is what all the fuss is about? Whatever happened to not missing any detail of vampire romance? You call yourself a fan and yet missing this one? Darn, curse you!"  Lol, that was my first reaction. I guess it's pretty obvious how mad I am with myself for ignoring it the whole month when all the teenage girls were in roving packs descending to theaters while ME? Ugh! I hate remembering. Now, back to discussion, after which, I can't wait to have a copy of the four novels. Twilight Saga was the first-ever novel that I've fervently read. This justifies Edward's line "Every thing about me invites you in, my voice, my face, even my smell." 'cept for the smell thing. It's as if the movie and the book cast me into a spell that I can't find the strength to stay away from it anymore. Lol, still from one of the memorable quotes on Twilight. Okay, let's head into the bottom-line, the details of my disappointment.


While the casting on the film is perfect, Bella Swan (Kirsten Stewart) who moved from sunny Phoenix to rainy Forks when her mother (Sarah Clarke) re-marries, to live with her father Charlie (Billy Burke), the local chief police, met new circle of friends, Jessica (Anna Kendrick) and Angela (Christian Serratos), reunited with her childhood friend, Jacob (Taylor Lautner) and there, she met the most unlikely boy in the small, dreary town of Forks, Edward Cullen, a vampire. But the Cullens aren't one of the typical vampire, they brand themselves as 'vegetarian', meaning they don't drink human blood, instead, they live through the blood of the animals thus, making them an aberration among their kind. Soon enough, both are swept into a passionate human-vampire relationship, one that had put Bella's life in danger and in which, on the later narration had became the reason of  Edward leaving Bella (later discussed on New Moon synopsis).

Surpassing the encounter with the exceptionally 'hunt-is-his obsession' bloodthirsty James (Cam Gigandet) with Laurent (Edi Gathegi) and Victoria (Rachelle Lefevre),  did not gave Bella an assurance of being free from the danger inherent in Edward's family, not that it bothers her but then it tortures Edward in the process, especially the incident on her18th birthday, reason for Edward along with the rest of the clan headed by Carlisle (Peter Facinelli) to finally abandon Forks. Here is then where the story soars into a new level. Left alone, Bella had lived like a soulless being, lacking warmth and sensitivity to her surroundings. For three consecutive months she engaged with nothing but nightmares in her sleep. It was not until Bella's frequent togetherness with Jacob that she finds a deep solace, only then to realize that her childhood friend belongs to a supernaturally wolves, justifying the stories about the cold ones and Quileutes ascending from wolves to be true. Racing against the clock of nurturing friendship and finding her lost love, Bella faced the most deadly reunion with Edward along with the Volturi, having Aro (Michael Sheen), the chief among them, also Jane (Dakota Fanning). Enough said...

Hmmm...looking through the summary doesn't seem to show anything 'bout me being disappointed, am I right? Well, here's what I have to say: quoting back when I said, "while the casting is perfect", both the leads delivered a solid performances in Twilight, the original director Catherine Hardwicke,  have successfully drew the emotion out from the novel, hitting a great impact to the audience and that includes me of course, but sadly to say, it doesn't in 'New Moon'. I was expecting, after reading all Meyer's Twilight Saga, especially "New Moon", the one series that made me shed a millions of tears and goes to numbness along with Bella, after all the wait, I reaped disappointment. The movie seems rushed and with so many flaws vs over all the details from the book. The structure is a mess, scene after scene, abandoning one plot over the other, altogether....so confusing and left me empty. Well, of course, the movie is 'realistic', books allow us to imagine, films don't and nothing beats our own imagination. But then.....Okay, let's say for argument's sake that I haven't read the book, still the movie did not build any connection with me. I mean, I did not even bother to get a DVD copy and watch it again. It lacks the call of interest and baffles anyone who haven't read the book because of its missing lines of scenes.

To validate my point, early reviews  at Rotten Tomatoes give New Moon a 4.6 out of 10 on average, and just 28 percent of Approved Tomatometer Critics rated it positive though it was a major hit on its opening night, including advanced ticket sales (Huffington Post, 2010). Simple saying goes; many did have come but only few was left satisfied.


No comments: